Nanba branch Temples, Sakai branch
The Sakai branch of Nanba branch temples (Hannan-gobo) belonging to the Otani school of the Shin sect was built in 1603 by the 12th successor of Higashihongan-ji Kyonyo Shonin (1558～1614). Many people pay visits to the temple as the base of the prosperity of Buddhism.
In 2012, its garden was redeveloped to commemorate the 750th anniversary of its founder Shinran Shonin’s death. In redeveloping it, many Meiji-gawaras (smoked tiles) which had been removed when repairing the Amida-do in Higashihongan-ji Temple were used, and they create a location full of atmosphere. In the west side of the main gate, the image of the roof of Amida-do is recreated, and benches made with flat tiles used in Amida-do attract visitors’ attention.