Dainei-ken is located on the former premises of Dainei-in Temple, one of Nanzen-ji's sub-temples during the Edo period (1603-1868). Dainei-in Temple was dissolved during the persecution of Buddhism that occurred during the late 1860s and early 1870s. The garden is thought to have been created during the 1880s, after the temple grounds were confiscated by the government and turned into private property, and later renovated by Togetsusai Chikuso, the eleventh head of the Yabunouchi family, the main lineage of the Yabunouchi school of tea. In front of the drawing room, a pond with an elegant curve has been created where water from a broad stream enters from the back. Inside the stream, there is a miniature three-pillar torii (Japanese shrine gate) made of stone, a characteristic rarely seen in Japan.
As the tea garden designs applied to Dainei-ken's different areas reflect, this is a garden that creates a subdued atmosphere while also displaying a sober and detailed use of technique.
Location: Sakyo-ku, Kyoto
Accessibility: not open to the public
Garden construction period: in Meiji era
[Publications/PDF] Nanzen-ji Temple’s Daineiken Garden (Kyoto University of the Arts Research Center for Japanese Garden Art and Historical Heritage Teiengaku koza XXIV: sukisha to niwa no monogatari)
Page Top ▲